Monday, March 24, 2008

Little One...

I was so excited when my cousin and aunt asked me to make baby invitations for a shower they were giving for a friend of theirs. I love having a "job" to do..I love creating something from scratch and being able to share it with others!! It really is so much fun and I wish I could do it everyday!! The new mom is having a little boy and I immediately thought of the little sheep from the My Punny Valentine set from Papertrey...I just love that little sheep and think it is fitting for a little boy...I absolutely love the colors brown and blue together and decided to go with that color scheme..As a crafter, especially a card maker you are always looking around for inspiration and ideas..I happened to be buying some clothes from Gap and used one of my giftcards from Christmas..well, I looked down at the little holder my card was in and thought that would make a cute holder for my invite. It's so funny where you can get inspiration from... I decided to use Kraft paper for the sturdiness, as well as for a more natural look. I punched the bodies of my sheep with my small scallop punch using the blue paper. I stamped the head and legs of my sheep on Kraft paper and cut them out..making sure to leave a little brown around the stamped image. I then stamped out a larger scallop out of cream vellum and glued this behind the punched out blue paper..this was the body of my sheep. I wanted to keep the polka dot theme throughout the invite, so I also placed the polka dot paper behind the vellum. I glued the head and legs onto the blue paper. I then stamped the sentiment "little one" underneath the sheep and did a bit of distressing around the blue edges. I sewed both sides and the bottom of the card making sure to keep the top open for my invitation. I used the smaller polka dot stamp from the Polka Dot set from PTI and stamped the top of the card... To create the opening and closing of the card holder, I used my cuttlebug to punch out several small circles and used brads to hold them in place. It is a very simple way to fasten cards and I like the look of it... Instead of using hemp string(I found it to be too thick) I used a smaller version of yarn that I found at Michael's and it worked perfect.. As for the invitation itself, I just used the polka dot paper and printed the information on vellum and used ribbon to secure it to the paper. It is very simple but I think the ribbon gives it just the right amount of embellishing..I didn't want to over do it...Well, that's it!! I really hope they enjoy them..I sure had fun creating them!!

3 comments:

Sophie said...

What originality ! I love the colors, the polka dot paper and the sheep is so cute !

http://www.lacarteriedesophie.blogspot.com/

Debbie Olson said...

The sheep is just darling! Love the polka dots too!

Unknown said...

Just love this adorable little idea. Very clever. I would love a template or dimensions. I can try and wing it, but templates save the time challenged! :-) Thanks much for sharing your amazing work!